Tuesday, March 16, 2004

A Washington Post article on Tuesday had a story about Jim Palmer accusing Brady Anderson of using steroids during his 50 home run season in 1996.

"I like Brady, and it doesn't mean he's a bad guy because he took steroids," Palmer, a television commentator on Orioles telecasts, told Baltimore radio station WIYY-FM in an interview that was broadcast Sunday. "But I'm sure he wanted to enhance his performance." The comments were printed in the Baltimore Sun in Tuesday's editions.

Palmer says his comments were taken out of context and questions the the authenticity of the radio station's tape of its interview.

"I never said Brady took steroids," he said. Told that the interview was on tape, Palmer said: "How do you know they didn't doctor the tape? I'm not accusing them of that, but you don't know."

I wish Palmer wouldn't back off here. Palmer then goes on to address Barry Bonds:

"When Bonds goes from 49 [homers] to 73, you just wonder," Palmer told the Sun. "You're trying to have a level playing field and maintain the integrity of the game. I'm sure it was a great year for Brady, and it was a great year when Bonds broke McGwire's record, but you just wonder."

I really like Palmer. He isn't afraid to speak his mind on the state of baseball and he certainly isn't afraid to criticize current Orioles players. Some of you may remember last year when he got into an argument after a game with David Segui. I look forward to his commentary this season.

Eighteen days to the O's opener!
|